okay so i temporarily removed the loop just to see if the template works

$(function() {
            var data = [];

                data[0] =
                {
                    roll_no: {{content[0].roll_no}},
                    cell_no: {{content[0].cell_no}},
                    nationality:{{content[0].nationality}},
                    e_mail:{{content[0].e_mail}}
                };
            grid = new Slick.Grid("#myGrid", data, columns, options);
            $("#myGrid").show();
        })

The final return in the view which calls the above templates is
return render_to_response("db.html",{'content':list})

and now i am getting the exception
Exception Value:
Could not parse the remainder: '[0].roll_no' from 'content[0].roll_no'

any ideas???