FCKeditor has an XML API that can be implemented on the server side to
support the upload/browse functionality for images, etc. (see
http://fckeditor.wikiwikiweb.de/Developer's_Guide/Participating/Server_Side_Integration#Browser).

I was working on this yesterday and have a working Django application
that supports most of the API.  I'll be working on finishing it up
today, and will release it tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on when I get
things cleaned up.  Anyway, that may make FCKeditor a good choice for
you.  I'll announce it on django-users when its available.

Nathan