Hi Justin,

On 20 Aug 2006, at 18:43, bayerj wrote:
> As soon as I change my database schema, I have several possibilites
> to get my app up again:
> (a) Change the model. Then drop the current db schema, fire up the
> new one. Drawback: I lose my data.
> (b) Change the model and change the schema manually. Drawback: I am
> repeating myself.
> (c) Make everything right from the start. Drawback: Can only be
> reached asymptotical. (I won't argue about that :)

There has been lots of discussion about this very issue in the past
few months, the situation you describe is what all of us have to deal
with at the moment. The discussion has converged on this wiki page,
where all the proposals have been argued:

  http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SchemaEvolution

There is a Google Summer of Code project to implement the proposals
on that wiki page, mentored by Kenneth Gonsalves and implemented by
Derek Anderson:

  http://code.google.com/soc/django/appinfo.html?csaid=CE83CE9BB3C461B3

A branch for working on schema evolution has been created by Jacob
about one month ago, but no commit have been yet performed on it
(that I know of, at least):

  http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/branches/schema-evolution

I am not aware of the status of the schema evolution implementation
at the moment, but am very looking forward to it.

Cheers.
--
Antonio