On Aug 24, 3:22 pm, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Michel30 <forerunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I have written an application using Django 1.3 , apache2 and a mysql
> > db.
> > I'm using the db to store filepaths and filenames for legacy purposes
> > while serving them to users with apache.
>
> > Now mysql is using latin-1 (with the filenames most likely stored in
> > CP-1252) while Django uses utf-8.
>
> That is not going to fly. You will likely need to ensure you have a
> consistent character encoding across your website, database and file
> system.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Tom,

that looks like it would be best, yes (this is my first exposure to
encoding problems)

I cannot change the filesystem or mysql encoding since the legacy
application is still using it. I assumed that with utf-8 I would be
good as it covers all(?) and I understood mysql translates itself from
latin-1 to utf-8 and vice versa.

As far as I can see this only hurts my hyperlinks, more specifically
only file.filename so wouldn't translating only these work?