On 8/21/06, Cole Tuininga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) The URLField type is being restricted to 200 characters.  Is there
> a reason for this?  Can it be overridden?

Not really. URLField subclasses CharField (because that's how it goes
into the database), which means that no matter what there's going to
be a hard limit of around 250 characters enforced by the DB.

> 2) The validator is enforcing that the URL must currently be active.
> I want to use the check to make sure that the url is properly
> formatted, but I don't want to enforce that the url must respond.  Is
> there a way to get around this with the default validation?  Or will I
> need to write my own validator that will check the syntax of the url?

Use the 'verify_exists' argument, set to False, as explained in the docs:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/model_api/#urlfield

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin