Never mind.  I've found the answer.  The problem was that my app name
"messages" somehow clashed with the app "django.contrib.messages"
which was earlier in my INSTALLED_APPS.  This didn't prevent my
project from working, but did confuse the test framework, which looked
in "django.contrib.messages" before "myproject.messages" for test
cases.  When I renamed my app, the testing worked fine.  So Bruno's
advice was correct: give the exact details, don't simplify, that just
discards important information.

OK, now to start writing serious unit tests...