On 05-09-11 23:09, Terribyte wrote:
I don't know if anyone has said this outright, but I think that
ChoiceField and ModelChoiceField are just broken.

It seems that every time I want to do something with them I'm having
to write a custom init function get what I want done.

As a community I think we should be able to improve the "genericness"
of them in such a way that would allow smart filtering of model lists,
default settings, and a few other features that as an object they are
wonting for.

I know that this remark is far too generic and requires a great deal
more "fleshing out" but I wanted to throw that out there as I'm
banging my head -- once again -- on the desk trying to get django
forms to spit out a choice field that does what I want it to do and
wished to share my frustration.

I hope it helped :-)

From time to time someone says that a feature that's been a long time in Django is "just broken". Well, the common answer is that that's nonsense, precisely because it is in Django for a long time and lots of people are using it. So it cannot be broken. Perhaps sub-optimal, but not broken.

Just telling you the standard reaction I've seen :-)

I *guess* that choice fields is a pretty hard problem to solve correctly and probably impossible to solve generically. Perhaps a custom init function *is* the right way?

Anyway, could you give an example where you have to write a custom init? Mayhap there's an easy solution, mayhap it suggests improvements to the generic choicefield?

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
rein...@vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/