As an oversimplification.. any time you will be looking up a record based on
a field, then you want an index on that (or those) fields. If you're finding
a row based on a slug, you want to index that slug field.

A good tool is to use the Django debug toolbar. When you load a page you can
take a look at the SQL queries. You can then use the 'dbshell' management
command to open up your database shell. Then you can then add "EXPLAIN "
before the SELECT queries to see how it's finding your data. Do a google
search on your database indexes and you'll find all sorts of details.