I know I have to be missing something simple  - I've followed the
instructions at this
doc<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/ref/contrib/admin/>and have tried
extending several different files from the admin site.  I've
placed an index.html in the <path to template dir>/admin/<name of my app>/
directory and tried to override the side bar like:

{% extends "admin/index.html" %}

{% block sidebar %}
<h1>This is a test in index.</h1>
{% endblock %}

<path to template dir> is the absolute path I've given via TEMPLATE_DIRS in
settings.py.

If I move my index.html to <path to template dir>/admin/ and remove the
first line I see the h1 (and only that) that I have in my version of the
file indicating that it is overriding the admin/index.html there.  <name of
my app> is the same exact thing that I gave to 'manage.py startapp'.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  I am super-frustrated at this point because
it seems like it should be so easy but it's not working at all.

Thanks in advance.