Dear Alec,

I would suggest that you learn Django first before you move on to Pinax,as
Pinax is just a collection a number of commonly used  Django apps. So you
must at least have a basic grasp of Django before you start with Pinax. Also
in the official documentation of Pinax, on the Getting Started page they
give the links to Django tutorial and Django documentation. So it seems only
logical to first deal with Django and then go after Pinax. Your learning
plan does seem fine and the tutorial will at least give you a basic overview
of Django, though I doubt that it will be sufficient to make you a Django
expert but it will surely give you a start and will prepare you for Pinax.

So, I suggest that you stick to your plan. All the best.

-Rajul