I am having trouble getting static files to work, and have to resort
to putting all my css inline (ugly!).

I have read and followed the docs on static files.
django.contrib.staticfiles is in INSTALLED_APPS
(by default), and I have set STATICFILES_DIRS to where my static files
are (/home/nara/media). (I have
tried with and without a slash at the end of this absolute file path).

Running the dev server, looks like none of my css files are getting
pulled in, the logs always show an HTTP response of 200, and looking
at the results in firebug on firefox 6.0.2, both screen.css and
print.css, my static files, are empty.

I am confused about whether ./manage.py collectstatic is a necessary
step for static files to work, I didn't think so, and have not done
that.

Thanks
Nara