> You can control the order of how nulls sort with pgsql (at least, 8.3
> and above) by appending 'NULLS FIRST' or 'NULLS LAST' to the 'ORDER
> BY' clause of a select query.

Good to know. I am using 8.4, I may look into adding the order by into
a .extra() call.
Thanks

Due to the urgency, I went with option 3 on my list (adding an ASAP
field to the model), It just frustrates me that I now have a column
that is false except when the due_date column is null. Just seems like
such a waste, I wish I could have hooked into the due_date. Good news
is that this guarantees the right sort for any db, should I ever need
to switch it.