> On Wednesday, 5 October 2011 20:55:33 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

I'm an experienced programmer (started around 1971 or so!) and I've done
> lots of things over the years, much of my background is in Unix (Solaris).
> In the last few years I have done quite a lot of web related stuff.
>
> I'm trying to get my mind round django.  I have it installed on my
> unbuntu server, it works, I've worked through tutorials 1 and 2 and a
> bit of 3.  I can get the admin screens up and the basics of the polls
> example work.
>
> However two rather basic things still elude me:-
>
>     Where/how do I actually start creating the top level/page of a web
>     site?   Do I just open vi and create some HTML and embed django
>     code?  That seems unlikely but I can't see anywhere that tells me
>     what the code that creates a django site looks like and/or where it
>     resides.   An actual example of a two or three page working django
>     based web site would be a huge help.

You *really* need to do the tutorial. If you think that "creating HTML and
embedding Django code" is how it works, then you haven't read it. That's not
how it works at all.

If you want to see some working Django sites, look at
http://www.djangosites.org/with-source/ - but none of them will make much
sense until you've got the basics.

>     I can't see anywhere that seems to tell me the issues involved with
>     moving from using the built in web server to using apache2 (or
>     whatever, I have apache2 on my system).

Don't worry about this yet. Learn Django first, then worry about deployment.

--
DR.