I tend to split mine up based upon URLs. For example, all
User-Authentication stuff I may put into a 'user' app. All misc. things that
don't seem to have a proper place might go into a 'core' app. Some times
this is especially helpful as you can just include an entire App in your
main urls.py and worry about maintaining that "module" of code almost
completely separately. To really build a "modular", re-usable application,
you'll have to design it that way. It can be tough, and sometimes
impossible, but it has it's advantages.