Django's User Authentication Module is pretty dependent upon it's set of
assumption, including that the User data would be stored in a specific
table. Without any experience in this matter, I would assume it'd be a
difficult task to try to modify it to use your own table. However, you can
write your own Authentication Backend. Or, you could just do like Benedict
mentioned and create a one-to-one relationship with your own UserProfile if
you simply want to extend the User class. Also, check out 3rd party
Authentication Backends. This stuff is documented really well in the Python
Docs. Also, feel free to check out Python's source code directly.