On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 02:10:49 PM Andre Terra wrote this and sent it
to To: django-users@googlegroups.com::

> > To be honest, you're probably (not 100% sure) creating *more* work for
> > yourself trying to make something like this work in django admin, than
> > just designing something for yourself (YMMV).
>
> I couldn't agree more. Too often I see newcomers learning how to extend the
> admin, when it would actually be easier to roll out their own views, not to
> mention how they would be learning how to use the framework rather than a
> built-in app.

It's so easy to think Django-Admin is the answer.  Django's admin is a few
steps up from PHPMyAdmin or some other SQL GUI tool. Uless your use case for
your user is precicely a create, read, update and delete interface to your
data as represented by your model definitions, you probably will not have the
moving parts you need to implement what you want... The minute you want
more/different, is (most of the time) literally less work to just roll your own
view and template which will give you much more control of the user experience
and avoid the inevitable complaints about "why aren't totals at the bottom of
tables? How come we have to used this wonky Year/Month/Date drill down?

--- Mike