Hello All,
Am pretty new to Django. I am trying to create a form which will upload an
image and then enable the user to crop visually (using JCrop plugin). Am
not completely sure on how to implement this in Django. I am thinking of
first saving the uploaded image into the disk as a jpeg file and then load
and display the image as an overlay where the user can crop the image. I am
able to create a form with the image field and then am passing over
request.FILE to a function called handle_uploaded_image. Following is
my handle_uploaded_image function

def handle_uploaded_image(self, image):
    """
    This function is to handle uploaded image file
    """
    imageFile = Image.open(StringIO.StringIO(image.read()))
    fileName = hashlib.md5(imageFile.getvalue()).hexdigest()+'.jpg'

Now i am kind of confused on how to convert the uploaded image into jpg
using PIL, and then saving into the disk. I had defined a field in my model
to save the image file name which is as follows:

class UserProfile(models.Model):

avatar = models.ImageField(_('Avatar'),upload_to=settings.IMAGE_UPLOAD_PATH,
null=True)

I did this based on the django documentation, but it tells something about
binding the form which am not able to correctly understand. Why do we need
to bind a form with image field. Also whats the use of giving upload_to in
model image field? Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Swaroop Shankar V