Today I run into the same problem.
-----------
It's not necessarily your "to_party" attribute that is missing. I could
vary the problem by using a Meta class with a unique_together option,
and additionally, moving the "edit_inline" to my second ForeignKey:

class MyIntermediate(models.Model):
        tar = models.ForeignKey(Foo, related_name="foo_1")
        inherfrom = models.ForeignKey(Foo, edit_inline=True,
related_name="foo_2")
        type = models.PositiveSmallIntegerField(default=0, core=True)

        class Meta:
                unique_together = (("tar","inherfrom"),)

The admin now raises no KeyError but an AttributeError:
AttributeError at /admin/sim/biobj/add/
'AddManipulator' object has no attribute 'isUniquetar_inherfrom'

When I remove the class Meta either, or move the edit_inline to my
first ForeignKey, I get exactly your Traceback with the KeyError.

Django Team, please point to a place where we can start to debug, or
workaround.

Regards,
 Ruben