Sure you could do that. It's called using XML Transformations (XSLT),
Javascript Templatating Engines, or a number of other approaches.

Django does this with its Template Engine. The reason this isn't completely
ran on the Client-Side is because it would be slower, difficult to cache,
and dependent upon some specific Client-Side technologies.

Django lets you easily override this behavior. For example, there's
documentation on using alternative Templating Engines. You could apply the
same methodology to using Client-Side Templating Engines (written in
Javascript), or even just displaying XML w/ XSLT using the Browser's
Transformation Engine. I'm not really the most experienced person when it
comes to Client-Side templates but I'm sure there's a lot out there in
Google Land.