One of my django apps contains testing data about every item our
company has manufactured over the last year or so. The database has
over 50 million rows of data. Despite this I have successfully migrated
the database several times. Sometimes it is trivial. Back up the data
for safety and then just add a column or columns in a table while
making the same change in the models. Viola! (Renaming or retyping a
column can be similarly easy at times.)

I have even done a more massive migration. Here I backed up the data.
Cleared out all the tables. Made the model changes and recreated
database tables. Then I used sed to edit a copy of the backed up data
such that I could reload into the new tables.

Django does nothing to make it easier or harder to migrate a database
that any other database app (although I hear persistence rumors of some
eventual tool support for some of the more trivial migration
oeprations.)