On 8/24/06, Steve M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a basic question about concurrency.

[snip]

> Now Alice and Bob each edit the email address in the text field, but
> they set it to different values; Alice sets it to
> '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' and Bob sets it to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'. Then
> they both press save.

[snip]

This can certainly be a concern in certain types of apps. However, in
such apps it may be best to keep a record of every change made alone
the way. I see that the Full History branch [1] was updated earlier
this week. I don't see where this specific issue is addressed on the
wikipage (I havn't looked at the code), but in your scenario, by
reviewing the history Bob can see why his edit didn't seem to stick
and will be relieved to know it is not lost for all time. Maybe not a
perfect solution, but certainly a step in the right direction. Perhaps
a "Row-level Locked for Editing" mechanism would make for a viable
contrib app.

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/FullHistory

--
----