Thanks Andre -- that got me pointed in the right direction.  I think
that this solution[1] to upload outside of MEDIA_ROOT for a specific
field, plus this module[2] to abstract and offload as much of the file
serving effort as possible to the underlying server might do the
trick.  I'll post back if any other complications arise.

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1729051/django-upload-to-outside-of-media-root
[2] https://github.com/johnsensible/django-sendfile