On Wednesday, December 7, 2011, bobhaugen <bob.hau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing that the OP wanted to develop a "standard" e-commerce
> site for a single company, in which case I agree with Stuart and Andre
> that the way to go is a well-tested e-commerce framework.
>
> I had to roll my own because I was doing something very different: B2B
> e-commerce with an efficient order form (order from a grid combining
> many products, not one-product-per-page adding to a shopping cart one
> at a time) and order line items from many producers where the payment
> from the customer needs to get allocated to each producer.  But had a
> well-tested framework for that kind of thing been available, I would
> have grabbed it.

I think the OP's phrase "e-commerce framework" is a bit vague, as well --
there are a lot of different components that could all get tagged with that
label: payment processing, recurring billing, shopping cart, fulfillment,
inventory management -- it's probably not too much of a stretch for some
people to add accounting and customer service to that list, too.

You say you had to roll your own, but really you just didn't need the
shopping cart functionality. Even with your requirements, I'm sure you are
better off using a well-tested payment gateway rather than writing your own
interface to Paypal.

At some level, everybody is going to have to do *some* customization;
whether that's just overriding some templates, or building the whole site
down to the payment provider interface. We could probably provide a survey
of all related packages in this thread, but the OP might also have to do
some more thinking about what their actual requirements are.

The good thing is that the Django community has build lots of high-quality
modules that cover just about every corner of this space, so any specific
needs can almost certainly be addresses here. "What can I use for
e-commerce" is a very open-ended question, though.

> As it is, I did use django-paypal with some customizations, which is
> its own kind of pain in the butt.  (Not django-paypal, the
> customizations, because now I am stuck with the version of django-
> paypal that I customized...)  Eventually I'll take another look at
> payment apps and some of the newer e-commerce frameworks that are more
> modular.

Regards,
Ian Clelland
<clell...@gmail.com>