Hi.

Which DNS lookups for client addresses does the Django development
server do, and why?

Background for my question:
I'm running a Windows installation in a VMWare machine and use that to
check the IE-compatibility of my HTML. That used to work just fine.
I've just tried it again and the development server was handling client
requests at a rate of almost exactly one every three seconds!

Using NETSTAT on the Windows/VM machine showed a number of established
connections, the HTTP server was just veeeeery slooooooow in handling
them.

After I added an entry for my VM machine (mapping the machine name to
the virtual IP address) to /etc/hosts on my development machine (the
once running Django, not the one in the VM), the request were again
processed at the usual speed. This leads me to the conclusion that
something in the development server does some form of DNS lookup and
needs to wait for a DNS timeout before being able to service the
request.

Since the development server will probably not always be used in fully
networked environments with a full DNS, maybe it would be worthwhile
checking out which function is dependent upon these DNS lookups and
either cache the data (i.e. you checked once - don't check again) or
just disdable the function.

Or is there a switch to "django.-admin runserver" which would disable
this feature (whatever it is)?

(In case it helps -- I'm on SVN revision 3238)

    Daniel