You may want to check out the category / product selection method in the
project at http://getlfs.com/ . They have some very good ideas on custom
user interfaces.

You can quickly select categories visually from the products point of view,
or select products from a list from the category's point of view. I love
the product detail view of the categories because it is very intuitive, but
I think from the category detail a simple list of products is going to be a
problem with large product lists. Some room for improvement there, but very
nice too. They have a demo.

I am not a user interface expert but it is clear this is an area of need.

Richard