The answer you're looking for is the "templatetag" template tag. Essentially, it lets you specify escaped characters by name.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/templates/builtins/#templatetag

For example:

>>> from django.template import Template, Context
>>> t = Template('{% templatetag openvariable %} foo {% templatetag closevariable %}')
>>> t.render(Context())
u'{{ template_variable }}'