I don't think you need different braches in your code repository for your
development and production (and don't forget staging) environments. The
main differences are in the settings.py values and the database used. You
can even use the same settings.py for different environments with clever
use of DEBUG or some other constant.

And, as many others have already mentioned, you should really use
virtualenv, pip and Fabric to automate as much as possible.

I wrote a fabfile to easily create staging and production environments in
Ubuntu. The setup includes Django, gunicorn, Nginx and upstart. You could
easily modify the fabfile to fit your needs. Here some more details:

http://www.ventanazul.com/webzine/django-gunicorn-fabfile-project

and here the actual code in GitHub:

https://github.com/alexisbellido/The-Django-gunicorn-fabfile-project