On Friday, 6 January 2012 15:12:29 UTC, BillB1951 wrote:

> I am having trouble passing a parent table record “id” to a new record
> in a child table.  My urlconf calls add_childtable in my views.py and
> passes the parenttable_id to it.  I have excluded the parenttable from
> my ChildTableForm(ModelForm) because I do not want it to be available
> to the users.  When I hit submit – from my form.html I get a
> “KeyError” error message.  The parenttable field/column (a ForeighKey
> field) does not want to accept the parenttable_id I am passing to it.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Example code snippets are always appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>
> PS.   I notice that the code pasted in below seems to have messed up
> some of the indenting, but its correct in my python files.

<snip>

                parenttable=form.cleaned_data[parenttable_id],

Since parenttable_id isn't coming from the form, this won't work. It's a
local variable, so just
    parenttable = parenttable_id
should work.

However you're doing extra work by specifying the fields automatically - a
modelform does that for you:

    if form.is_valid():
        childtable = form.save(commit=False)
        childdtable.parenttable_id = parenttable_id
        childtable.save()

Also, next time please remember to provide the actual error message +
traceback when asking for help.
--
DR.