This is why linux is the best os. If anything goes wrong, you can
blame it on linux :)

1) make sure you are really using django1.4a in server (from django
import VERSION). maybe you installed multiple versions of django and
using the wrong one (you might have 1.2.x on system and 1.4a on
virtualenv and might be using the wrong one.)
2) check your settings.py file. You might have windows specific paths
on your settings.py file (PROJECT_ROOT)

I hope that helps.