I am getting ready to put together a Django web application portfolio,
but first I am doing some research on which apps I will build for the
portfolio itself to show off to possible employers.

Is there an online resource which lists the top requests web
applications?  I did a google search and only found results for the
higher demanding languages.  I am making this portfolio language
transparent, where what matters most is the end product and not what
is used to build that product.

I know social type apps and sites are in high demand, but that is a
little broad, like which kind of social apps and sites are in high
demand?  Is there demand for collaboration web applications?  What are
businesses currently seeking web developers to build for them, for
either internal or public consumption?

A site similar to TIOBE would be nice, but I highly doubt a company is
going through this effort.

Thanks.