Try overriding the save method in your model as documented here:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/model_api/#overriding-default-model-methods

If you only want to create the directory when a new entry is made try
something like this:

def save(self):
        # check if we are updating or creating a new entry
        if self.id:
            # create your dir here

        super(Registry, self).save()

Hope this helps,