I think I am qualified to give you advice. When I say "qualified", I really
mean it.

First, I am not a very strong programmer myself. Even as a CS student, I
always feel like I am behind. Nontheless, I am always eager to learn and am
very determined to debug for days.
Python is not a big language like C++. There might be a faster way of
writing things in Python (such as loop vs comprehension), or making a
generator. That's not important. I know Python for three years, but I don't
write Python code a lot. When I need to know how to write a particular line
in Python, I google it. If not, I post questions on stackoverflow.com (of
course the question has ben appear good.....).

I am now doing this research, developing a cloud computing application
based on Django, Pylon, and many web technologies (let alone Unix and
sysadmin knowledge). Forutunately, I am the webclient developer, and I deal
with Django (we choose pinax as a starting base).

I read the Django book twice. But the first time I gave up half way. The
second time reading it I took my time. Django is actually very difficult to
develop because the framework is powerful. Python as a language alone is
very small. It takes no more than 100 pages to teach you everything you
need to know about basic python and advanced techniques. Python itself is
huge because of its rich libraries.

So little Python is not a problem. Read "Learning Python". Read Definite
Guide to Django. Get a django1.3 cheatsheet online. Learn to use virtualenv
(or pythonenbrew), pip, yaml, and fabric? I think virtualenv and pip are
necessary.
Don't rush him. Give him two weeks to digest the first half of learning
python, and definite guide to django. Give him two weeks, and he will be
happy. Then let him read the source code, and if the project is small,
printing out source code isn't bad at all. Otherwise a few days of
exploring will serve him well.

I am picking up a legacy work, and it took me a while to get a hang of it
for a django beginnger.

Pinax itself is like a wrapper on top of django IMHO. There is no mystery.