Thanks very much for the reply.  I went ahead and created a model
instance using the API, and then tried to get a yaml dump of this.
However, I'm running into another (newb) problem.  The database I'm
using is under a different username (I'm doing all of this in Ubuntu
Linux 11.10), which I understood to be good practice.  However, when I
do a python manage.py shell I have to already be in one user name or
another.  The database username gives me access to the database
through the API, but then I can't create a data dump file because I
don't have file write access under that username.  I can't be under
both usernames at once can I?  Do I just need to give write-access to
the database username as well?  If so how do I do that (I know we're
veering away from Django here, sorry)?