I plan to use ReportLab and/or Geraldo in an upcoming projects as they
seem to be the best out there.  In response to your criticisms:

ReportLab. "Too low level" which I translate to mean this is a tool
you can customise to do exactly what you want.  In the same way Django
is *not* a CMS and requires "some" work to build any website.

Geraldo. "lacks a few features" - welcome to the wonderful world of
open source.  Someone else has already done a whole chunk of work; now
you can make it even better by adding in those features and
contributing back so the whole community can benefit.

Cheers
Derek