I would like to weigh in on this discussion because I started out
developing Django apps fairly platform agnostic in college, meaning
that I worked on the apps on a variety of systems (although not too
much on macs).  My big project has been Django-Classcomm (http://
classcomm.googlecode.com/).  Well so now I develop Django apps
professionally in a land of mac developers/engineers I run Windows
7.

I have to say I don't really run my Django apps too much on Windows
natively, but I definitely develop them natively on Windows 7 and most
of my app spaces run in the local test environment from within the
windows file system (well technically they all do!).   Well so my
solution is I run Ubuntu server in Virtual Box (http://
virtualbox.org/) and I use host only adapter to connect to my host
from Windows 7 and I use the libraries versions as spec'ed for
production deployments.  My projects can live on Windows and run from
the linux server using the Virtual Box Shared Folders addition that
you get with installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions iso when you
load up Ubuntu for the first time.

Python is generally pretty good about running this way, for some of
the java stuff sometimes I have to copy it locally to withinside the
VM for ant commands to function properly.   This is the ideal solution
because you can use all your favorite tools like PyCharm to edit and
develop natively on Windows and as long as your VM is running you can
connect with GUI and cygwin to do fairly instantaneous development.

I still occasionally think about getting my projects fully running on
the Windows side so that I can tie them to the PyCharm IDE and take
advantage of those types of development tools.  However for now this
desire has always been trumped by the inconvenience of some of the
library support with the convenience of using a VM and spending most
of your time actually making traction.  Maybe if I wait long enough
the IDEs will have better abilities to plugin to running services on
VMs ...  That is generally how computing works, if you wait things
will get better and you can save a lot of effort.   But when you are
starting or have a very specific goal, going to the effort can really
pay off.