On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Larry Martell <larry.mart...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> This is probably a stupid newbie question ....
>>
>> I want to access a column of data in a row using forloop.counter, but
>> I cannot get it to work.
>>
>> In my test code, if I display {{ forloop.counter }} I get 2
>> If I display {{ headers.0.2 }} I get ToolType
>> But if I display {{ headers.0.forloop.counter }} I get nothing
>>
>> What is the proper syntax for this?
>>

> The preferred solution is to structure your data better in your view
> so that writing the template to render the data is straightforward.

This is a very large existing app, and I am new at this job. That have
a table of data and they want me to make some of the data in the table
into links that take them to a more detailed view of the data. The
functionality to provide this more detailed view of the data already
exist in the app. So I am just trying to construct the href. As I
iterate through the table data, I need info from the header to build
the href.

> The pragmatic solution is to use a custom filter to access your
> current data structures:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2024660/django-sort-dict-in-template

OK, but is there some reason {{ headers.0.forloop.counter } does not
work when forloop.counter has a value of 2, yet {{ headers.0.2 }}
does work?