Hi Andy,

On 31 Aug 2006, at 19:40, Andy Dustman wrote:

> I've come up with a patch to the MySQL backend. If you use MySQL,
> please check it out.
>
> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/2635
>
> One of the issues to resolve is: What is the minimum version of MySQL
> which Django should support? I am doing all my development with 5.0,
> and the early deployment I have so far is on 4.1, but I haven't tested
> the patch against 4.1 yet.  Does anyone use anything older than 4.1?
> Should this be a MySQL-5.0-specific backend and the existing one left
> alone, i.e. make this one mysql5? Please discuss on this thread.

I'm not fan starting making different versions of it, but it might
make sense due to big differences.

But MySQL 4.0 is reaching it's end-of-life, and so is 4.1 soon. I
know that doesn't mean it is going to disappear anytime soon, but..

I'd rather see these backend naming then:
- mysql: for MySQL 4.1 and 5.0 and higher..
- mysql4: for MySQL 4.0 and 4.1

There is already some migration going on from 4.x to 5.0, so I think
we should go for 5.0 as 'default' backend. But that is just my opinion.
MySQL 4.1 is like the thing between.. So I guess we could make both
'mysql' and 'mysql4' 4.1 compatible, or?

Just looking into the future, when for example MySQL 6.0 comes out,
it will be more compatible with 5.x series than 4.0 was with the 5.0
version. Well, that's what I hope :)

If you need more of my help or info, let me know. Patch looks good to
me, will put more time in when I get back next week.

Cheers,

Geert

--
Geert Vanderkelen