On 27/03/2012 10:16am, Larry Martell wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Mike Dewhirst<mi...@dewhirst.com.au>  wrote:
On 27/03/2012 9:16am, larry.mart...@gmail.com wrote:
On Mar 25, 3:29 pm, Larry Martell<larry.mart...@gmail.com>    wrote:
I have a client that has an app built with django. On every page of
their app is a link to their admin site. They tell me the admin site
is generated entirely by django, and they've never customized it
before. On the very first line of the admin page it says:

Django administration          Welcome, admin. Change password / Log out

They want me to add a link to that line, to the left of "Django
administration" that will take them back to the page they were on when
they clicked on the link to get them to the admin site.

So I have 2 issues here:

1) How do I override that line to add the link? It appears that page
is generated by contrib/admin/templates/admin/base.html, and I tried
to override it by following the directions
athttps://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/ref/contrib/admin/#overriding-a...,
but whatever I do seems to have no effect.

2) How can I get the link of the page of the app they came from? It's
not simply just going back one page, as they could have navigated all
over the place of the admin site before clicking the "Back to app"
link.

Thanks!
-larry
Is there anyone that can provide some assistance with overriding
base_site.html? I copied django/contrib/admin/templates/admin/
base_site.html to my projects's templates/admin dir, but changes to it
are not getting picked up. I also tried adding that to TEMPLATE_DIRS
(there was nothing in it before). In urlpatterns I have: (r'^admin/',
include(admin.site.urls)) - does that need to change?

Check https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/ref/settings/#template-loaders

Basically, django uses the first template it finds so if it finds the "real"
one in site-packages first, it stops looking. Try reversing the sequence of
loaders in your settings.py
Thanks. Perhaps that's related to the problem. TEMPLATE_LOADERS has this:

TEMPLATE_LOADERS = (
     'appmngr.load_app_template',
     'django.template.loaders.filesystem.load_template_source',
     'django.template.loaders.app_directories.load_template_source',
)

Where the first entry is a custom template loader that doesn't appear
to know how to load something from my apps templates/admin dir. Are
the other 2 entries 'standard' loaders that would look for my
base_site.html (since I put full path to it in TEMPLATE_DIRS)?

Here is mine ...

    'django.template.loaders.filesystem.Loader',
    'django.template.loaders.app_directories.Loader',

... it looks like your settings.py is using the template API load_template_source() for some reason. If you didn't do that yourself, I'd suggest you experiment by putting my two Loaders ahead of your three and see what happens.

Good luck

Mike