Hi,

I finally worked out where the problem was!

I am posting the answer in case that someone else has a similar issue
and stumbles upon this.

So I have reverted to the original model, as defined in the first
email here. The problem was with my definition of the natural keys, my
function was not retruning a tuple.

The solution was to add a comma to the return value of the natural_key
methods:

from django.db import models
class TestManager(models.Manager):
    def get_by_natural_key(self, name):
        return self.get(name=name,)

class Test(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length = 100, unique = True)
    date = models.DateField()

    def __unicode__(self):
        return self.name

    def natural_key(self):
        return (self.name,)

class InstanceManager(models.Manager):
    def get_by_natural_key(self, name):
        return self.get(name=name,)

class Instance(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length = 100, unique = True)
    test = models.ManyToManyField(Test)
    date = models.DateField()

    def __unicode__(self):
        return self.name

    def natural_key(self):
        return (self.name,)

I realise this is a pretty basic Python 'gotcha' and one I would hope
I would normally spot! In this case I was just not sure where the
problem was.

I hope this helps someone else with the same problem, at some point!

regards
Stephen