Hi and thanks for the response here is the code minus the line numbers --
copied from vim, all my tabs are right and I had the right underscores.

Please let me know if you see something.

thanks again

--jerry

 class Poll(models.Model):
  8     question = models.CharField(max_length=200)
  9     pub_date = models.DateTimeField('date published')
 10
 11 class Choice(models.Model):
 12     poll = models.ForeignKey(Poll)
 13     choice = models.CharField(max_length=200)
 14     votes = models.IntegerField()
 15
 16 class Poll(models.Model):
 17     def __unicode__(self):
 18         return self.question
 19     def was_published_recently(self):
 20         return self.pub_date >= timezone.now() -
datetime.timedelta(days=1)
 21
 22 class Choice(models.Model):
 23     def __unicode__(self):
 24         return self.choice

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Jonathan Baker <jonathandavidba...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> You'll want to be sure your method is defined as:
>
> def __unicode__(self):
>     return self.name # I'm using 'name' as an example field
>
> with double underscores on both sides of 'unicode' instead of just in
> front of it.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jonathan
>
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM, jk121960 <jk121...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am going through the tutorial, I am experienced programmer and I
>> am learning django. Every thing was fine till the portion where you
>> add the __unicode() methods to the classes. When I execute the
>> Poll.objects.all() ant the command line it doesn't look any
>> different."[<Poll: Poll object>]" just like the first python console
>> example. I tried to run syncdb thinking this was what was missing but
>> it didn't help. It stated that it
>> "Creating tables ...
>> Installing custom SQL ...
>> Installing indexes ...
>> Installed 0 object(s) from 0 fixture(s)"
>>
>> like before but no change to the output in python. Can someone suggest
>> something so that I can move on from this part, I worked with this
>> some time back but was unable to utilize it. I am attempting to change
>> that now, ao I was going back through the lessons.
>>

>> thanks and any help is appreciated
>>
>> --jerry
>>
>> --

> Jonathan D. Baker