I actually looked into this yesterday and came up with the following
modification to db/models/options.py around line 37

def __setattr__(self, name, value):
     if (settings.DB_PREFIX != '' and name == 'db_table' and value !=
''):
         self.__dict__[name] = DB_PREFIX + "_" + value
     else:
         self.__dict__[name] = value

Where a new option is added to settings.  This is pretty crude but in
my initial test it appeared to work.

This solution would not allow for sharing users between the sites

Or is this 'incredibly hackish'

Disclaimer I am not a python programmer, but I did stay at a Holiday
Inn Express last night.  So this may be way off base.