On Thursday, 12 April 2012 13:09:54 UTC+1, guettli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sometimes it happens, that db queries get executed at import time (during
> importing the file by the interpreter).
> That's waste of time a resources.

Why? Imports only happen the first time a process accesses a module. A
process lasts for many requests.

> Is there a way to test how many queries get executing during import? I
> want some automated way to detect these db queries.
>
> Example:
>
> def mychoices():
>     for obj in MyModel.objects.all(): # this hits the db during import.
> That's not good.
>
> class MyForm(forms.Form):
>      foo=forms.ChoiceField(choices=mychoices())

The problem caused by this being executed at import time is not a "waste of
time and resources", but the fact that if you add objects to MyModel, they
won't appear in the MyForm.foo choices, until the process is restarted -
which could be several days.
--
DR.