Actually it can be fixed by removing django.notifications like so:

Edit `settings.py` by commenting out
"notification.context_processors.notification", within
TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS and "notification", # must be first from
INSTALLED_APPS. Finally edit urls.py by commenting out
url(r"^notices/", include("notification.urls")), within the patterns
tuple of urlpatterns.

Then edit templates/site_base.html by removing this line:

<li id="tab_notices"><a href="{% url notification_notices %}">{% trans
"Notices" %}{% if notice_unseen_count %} ({{ notice_unseen_count }}){%
endif %}</a></li