Hello,

I have a form with ModelMultipleChoiceField on it, and I am getting
'DatabaseError: too many SQL variables' (using SQLite) when the user
picks more than 1000 entries in the selection widget and posts the
form.

The problem seems to be the method clean of ModelMultipleChoiceField,
which tries to select objects from the database simply by the IN SQL
clause (e.g. SELECT * FROM projects WHERE id IN (1,2,3)). When the
number of numbers in the IN argument rises over 1000 the too many SQL
variables happens.

I am using the most recent version of Django (1.5.dev17922), though I
think it is irrelevant because similar issues happened even with older
versions.

I have always worked around this problem by custom temporary models
that I used for joins of more complex queries. But more and more it
seems to me that, either there already is a systematic solution to
this problem that I am missing (which I hope somebody could point out
to me), or there at least needs to be a need for it -- how do you
address similar situations? -- in which case I can start thinking how
to propose something general that could later be incorporated into
Django.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.