Have you looked into something like Backbone.js (
http://documentcloud.github.com/backbone/) or Spine (http://spinejs.com/)?
I know this may not exactly be what you're after, but it does allow you to
define models and manipulate them asynchronously (with data being pushed to
the server via AJAX).
In Backbone, you can pass {wait: true} to all the save() calls (
http://documentcloud.github.com/backbone/#Model-save) to wait for a
response from the server, otherwise all calls are assumed to be "positive
by default" -- saving the data is assumed to be successful by default.

Cheers,

Karl Sutt