On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM, john2095 <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just been through a slice of hell simply because I did not want to
> install mysql-server on my (osx) django development machine - my app
> connects to a remote mysql database.  It turns out that python's "mysqldb"
> depends on mysql binaries which are only packaged up with the server
> release.  This means that if you want to run django and connect to a remote
> mysql you still need to install mysqlserver locally.  I think that
> blows. Especially when there is a purely python mysql driver in
> "mysql-connector".
>
> Has this happened by default or by design?  Is mysqldb really that much
> faster, or featureful, or just because it's more common?
>
> Is anyone working on a pure python solution (mysql-connector) database
> backend? Is there one already?
>
> thanks.

MySQL's client libraries provide a reference C API to access the
database, and are the basis for most MySQL drivers. These are
obviously bundled as part of the server code, but can be built
separately.

The vast majority of OS will package the client libraries separately
to the server binaries - eg Debian:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/mysql-client-5.1 - but I expect you
installed from source, and were put off by it downloading the full
MySQL source tarball.

Cheers

Tom