On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 6:42 AM, bruno desthuilliers
<bruno.desthuilli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 25, 2:32 pm, Larry Martell <larry.mart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 2:24 AM, bruno desthuilliers

>> > ???
>>
>> When I first did:
>>
>> extra(select={"Delta" : self.field_name})
>>
>> Then getattr(self.field_name) failed with "object has no attribute
>> 'col1-col2'".
>
> Obviously - the attribute name is then "Delta", not self.field_name
> (which is rather a misleading name since it's really an sql clause,
> not a field name).

Like I said in my original post, I didn't write this app. I'm new at
this client, and I'm just tweaking it. It is a field on the screen
that the user can select (from a list of data base columns), and
that's how it get passed into the python code (as field_name).

>> Yes, I've been writing python for years too,
>
> Sorry, that's not always the case for peoples posting here.

NP. There's always more to learn.

>> and I realize I can put
>> in a dict. But it still has to be in 2 places - the code that
>> implements the first query that generates the chart, and the code that
>> does the drill down query when they click on a point.
>
> You can eventually define the dict in one place and use it from both,
> but once again it's hard to say without seeing the real code :-|

The way this app is structured, they are 2 different classes. I could
put the mapping in a database table, or create a method in the
database object's class (i.e. the table that both use) that has the
dict and provides the mapping. Yeah, that's the ticket! Thanks for
getting my brain going.