Believe it or not, latin1_swedish_ci is a default collation for MySQL.

I recommend using PHPMyAdmin. It is the easiest way to see the
collations and change the collations. (but you have to use PHP :( )

You can use the MySQL Administrator GUI but it is a pain as you have
to do a lot more clicking to get into the tables and see the collations.

I don't know how to do it from the command line, as I have always
used PHPMyAdmin to do it.

Wish I could be of more help,

Corey