I need some help with how to approach a particular problem. I am new to
Django (but not to web application development), and while I can think
of several ways to solve this problem, I wanted to get some input from
the Django community as to the "correct", or most "Django" way to solve
it.

Here's the situation: I have created a conference registration system
that will be able to handle people management and registration for
multiple conferences; access to each conference is dictated by the URL,
like so:

http://conferences.tamu.edu/OR07/
http://conferences.tamu.edu/ABC08/
http://conferences.tamu.edu/XYZ07/

Currently there is only once conference active. The goal is to allow
for a base HTML template that is shown at conference.tamu.edu, and that
once you navigate "one layer down", into a specific conference, you
will see a different look-and-feel, as determined by an HTML template.

Since the main data will not change (and it fairly generic), I was
thinking of having defined "snippets" of HTML, like a header, footer,
sidebar, etc, that would be replaceable. Of course, an alternative
method (like actual template files) would be acceptable, too.

Here are some additional constraints:

  + Ideally, I would like the template changes to be optional; that is,
if there is no file that defines a special header (or footer, etc),
then the default header (or footer, etc) is used.
  + Also, it would be best if the HTML snippets that defined the
special look and feel could be editable through the Admin interface,
and not only through the filesystem (I don't want to give filesystem
access to the users managing the conferences).
  + Lastly, it would be cool if a URL could be provided that returned
the HTML snippet for the particular section, rather than just storing
HTML directly (this is the most expendable item).

So, any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the input...