On 06/07/2012 01:26 PM, kjs wrote:
Hello,

I am about to launch a Codeigniter project, but have future thoughts
about trying out Django sometime down the line.

My data is in MySQL and I have the urls as:

www.site.com/product/id/slug-name

The id is they primary id of the product.

If I do switch over to Django, will it be simple able to keep the
primary_id intact for my tables, so I don't have to change the urls?

Hi,

That would work just fine. Are the column names of your primary keys called "id"? Django assumes that by default. If it's not and let's say for the sake of the example it's product_id, it's simple to override Django's default behaviour and have Django recognize that as the PK.

I'm curious, if you're considering Django now, why not start the project now in Django? If you're an experienced developer and your project is relatively low complexity, you could probably build it while you're doing the (excellent) Django tutorial. That's how I built my first Django app about six years ago. It's a very well-documented, easy-to-grasp, productive framework where you can ramp up very quickly without having to know everything about it up front. The IRC channel (#django on irc.freenode.net) and this list are both fantastic support resources. The community is quite friendly and there are many very capable people who generously share their knowledge and time to help newcomers. I'd encourage to take the leap now if you're thinking about doing it anyway.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis